:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On 15.04.2017 00:04, Daniel Abrecht wrote:

> I still think this isn't a problem the service manager should attempt to
> solve. This is a situation where the database is temporary unavailable,
> for which there are many possible reasons. The services which relay on
> the database should be able to handle such a situation gracefully, or
> they are just not yet stable enough.

In theory, you're right. But the actual practise tends to be very
different. Probably, databases aren't the prime usecase for that.

There could be other scenarios, where a service has to do some
preparations for others to work (maybe certain filesystems mounted,
etc). I remember, eg., problems w/ nfs, when one of the dozens servers
isn't up yet, so they needed to be started in specific order. Years
went by since I last touched that, no idea that's still the case.

--mtx