:: Re: [DNG] /etc/debian_version
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /etc/debian_version
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> cat: /etc/debian_version: no such file or directory.
>
> I can probably put that file back, and all would be good. However,
> my question is what is still looking for that file during apt-get
> dist-upgrade, and more to the point, how can I make this message
> during upgrades stop without bringing back /etc/debian_version?

Devuan does have already its own /etc/devuan_version which can be
symlinked from /etc/debian_version especially since the correct value
its jessie for both.

Yet I believe we should file this as a bug as /etc/debian_version is
not there on new installs. The /etc/debian_version file is checked by
an enormous quantity of scripts in all sorts of deployements, we have
encountered this problem also with Vagrant, that I remember. So we
shall keep that file around and fill it with the Debian version we use
to fallback packages in each release, that is so far:

Jessie -> Jessie
Ascii -> Stretch

After Ascii is yet to be seen if we'll keep relying on Debian.

ciao