:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On 14.04.2017 12:17, Simon Hobson wrote:

> For those of us who put consistency above boot speed, simply changing
> the init script so MySQL doesn't flag as "started" until the daemon
> is up and ready to accept requests would fix it;

But then you'll have kind of daemon who watches mysql until it's really
ready and then signals back to the service monitor, so it can proceed
with the other services. In the long run, sounds like a maintenance
hell to me.

Having an simple status reporting, an application like mysql could at
least tell "hey, I'm not ready yet - give a coffee break". Whether to
actually use it, should be the decision of the operator (and distro
should give a proper default)

--mtx