:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: init system agnostic…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Fwd: init system agnosticism [WAS: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system]
Le 13/04/2017 07:03, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 22:32:32 -0400
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it also be kind of undoing the whole reason that the
>>> original guys split off the Debian crowd?
>>>
>> Well, the official policy, insofar as there is one, appears to be
>> that Devuan is about choice.
> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is settled law. Devuan does not in any way support installation of
> systemd on Devuan:
>
> https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150506.184731.24a5f02c.en.html
>
> All Devuan promises is not to deliberately insert Halloween Code to
> bomb when systemd is installed.
>
> It's perfectly obvious that if one wanted Devuan with systemd, they'd
> use Debian, but occasionally a troll tries to bludgeon us with our
> origins as a distro supporting the choice of its users NOT to use
> systemd. And then everyone (I'm guilty too during this thread) chimes
> in. But this is settled law.

     Hello Steve; I fully agree. But can't resist to putting it with my
own arguments...

     Systemd is not an init system; it is an operating system. Devuan
runs a Gnu/Linux OS which is not Systemd. Even if the two are using
almost the same kernel, they aren't the same OS. The most typical effect
of this is that many packages have different compilation options
depending on which OS they are to run.

     For people wanting absolutely Systemd on Devuan, I would recommend
to install it in a virtual machine under Qemu like Systemd developpers
do on their Macintoshes.

     Didier