:: Re: [DNG] FF pulseaudio hard depend…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] FF pulseaudio hard dependency is here
Golinux wrote:
> This is a follow up to this old thread:
> https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161002.124357.7c39d049.en.html
>
> According to this post on FDN -
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=638632#p638632 - the hard
> pulseaudio requirement has now been implemented:
>
> "From Firefox 52 onwards, pulseaudio is a hard requirement for sound on
> linux. Alsa is unsupported and alsa code will be removed in Firefox 54."
> (from - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 47056#c178 )
>
> So heads up that Devuan might need recompile FF for alsa if Debian does not.
> Of course, the blowback for going down this road could yet change Mozilla's
> mind. Yeah, right . . .
>
> Or maybe another viable alternative will miraculously appear . . .

apulse has been mentioned here before. I haven't tested it
much, but the GoboLinux developers have found it good enough
to include in their latest build, announcing

# Inclusion of APulse 0.1.9 as a replacement for PulseAudio (required by Firefox 52.0)

https://github.com/gobolinux/LiveCD/releases/download/016.01_beta/GoboLinux-016.01-beta-x86_64.iso

--
Joel Roth