:: Re: [DNG] surf segmentation fault
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] surf segmentation fault
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:54:17 +0100
Joachim Fahrner <jf@???> wrote:

> Please can someone try to load http://www.dhl.de with surf?
> I get a segmentation fault when opening this page.
> That happens woth both, the version from stable and the version from
> backports.
>
> Regards
> Jochen

I was hoping I could reproduce your problem. My Surf is no angel, it
sometimes hangs and sometimes vanishes, but it pulled up that website
perfectly. I tried it both with tabbed and untapped surf, and on
untabbed surf I put 12345 in the sendungsnummer field and clicked the
red thing below it, and it tried to look it up.

So we have the problem in a vice. It works for me and fails for you.
Let's exploit the differences. I see a few obvious ones:

* I compiled from scratch, you probably installed from package

* I'm on Void Linux, you're on Devuan

* I have gdb installed, you might not

Gdb is important because Surf invokes it when it encounters certain
problems. It would be pretty easy for you to compile a parallel copy,
in /usr/local/bin, naming it something different, and see whether the
same thing happens. If not start exploiting the differences til you
understand the nature of the failure.

Make sure similar problems don't occur on your other browsers with this
page. Maybe it's an indication of some system problem.

One more thing. If you really want to solve it, you could wget a copy
locally, see if the segfault occurs with that, and then by halves cut
away body code until the problem goes away, put back, and slowly narrow
it down to one piece of body code that can toggle the segfault on and
off. I'd suspect that nice rotating background.

<rant>
This page is what you get when you totally prioritize pretty over
function. What a pretty page: Pretty colors, pretty women, happy
interiors, lots of content. Just one problem: It segfaults on some
users' browsers. I bet when you pull up
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/surf.htm it doesn't segfault or do
anything stupid. That's what happens when you design for function.
</rant>

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb