:: Re: [DNG] We need to speak up
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] We need to speak up
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:20:35AM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:

> I think we should insist on cross-platform support and ease of porting:
> systemd is exclusively Linux, software written that has it as a
> hard-dependency cannot run on a generic POSIX-compliant system, widespread
> adoption of systemd will cause a rift between (no longer GNU/)Linux and any
> other OS, all other Unixes included, both free and proprietary. This is bad,
> as it replicates in GNU/Linux the bad things that caused the Unix systems of
> old to lose market share: they were too difficult to be made to interoperate,
> software had to be ported for each architecture *and* OS, so that as soon as
> a cheaper and easier to cope with platform emerged the old, grumpy and too
> complicated ones suffered and eventually became irrelevant. This is far from
> happening to GNU/Linux now, but systemd stalwartly walks that bad direction.
> I wished I knew how the embedded-systems developers feel about systemd: is
> it making their work more difficult? What impact is systemd having on
> porting GNU/Linux to IoT, mobile and real-time devices?

You can and should go on, but unfortunately I doubt that any technical
motivation would convince a herd of fanboys. If that was even remotely
possible, systemd would have not colonised Debian so easily and so
quickly.

systemd has become a religion. Whoever you speak to (within the
relatively small free software community), they would not be able to
image a world without systemd, which is so practical, so cool so
functional, so rock-solid, so next generation, so future. There is no
argument you can put forward for which they don't have already a
counterargument based on the gospel of Pottering, chapter X, line Y.

You can discuss logical arguments with somebody who understands logic
and is ready to play the game fairly. You never put logic in front of
faith: it's just worthless.

My2Cents

KatolaZ