:: Re: [DNG] We need to speak up
Top Pagina
Auteur: Alessandro Selli
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] We need to speak up
Il giorno Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:06:30 -0500
golinux@??? ha scritto:

> On 2017-03-15 21:32, Christopher Clements wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:55:57AM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
>>> But what is the point? Our freedoms are being eroded on all fronts -
>>> we are drowning in a tsunami of reversal of choice dictated by those
>>> in power be they Debian or corporations or government.
>>> Rather than piss in the wind...
>>
>> To make this a metaphor, what about pissing _upwind_?
>> I've seen some others suggest notifying upstream developers that making
>> systemd mandatory is a bad idea, and it (notifying them) seems like a
>> good idea, if only to make things easier for Devuan porters.
>>

> That is an excellent idea. Would be great if someone got organized
> enough to start a dialog with EVERY upstream dev individually and/or
> collectively. Unfortunately, that would be a mammoth task requiring
> more time than most people could find. I've done work like that on
> various issues and know from experience, it is a full time job.

I think we should insist on cross-platform support and ease of porting:
systemd is exclusively Linux, software written that has it as a
hard-dependency cannot run on a generic POSIX-compliant system, widespread
adoption of systemd will cause a rift between (no longer GNU/)Linux and any
other OS, all other Unixes included, both free and proprietary. This is bad,
as it replicates in GNU/Linux the bad things that caused the Unix systems of
old to lose market share: they were too difficult to be made to interoperate,
software had to be ported for each architecture *and* OS, so that as soon as
a cheaper and easier to cope with platform emerged the old, grumpy and too
complicated ones suffered and eventually became irrelevant. This is far from
happening to GNU/Linux now, but systemd stalwartly walks that bad direction.
I wished I knew how the embedded-systems developers feel about systemd: is
it making their work more difficult? What impact is systemd having on
porting GNU/Linux to IoT, mobile and real-time devices?

I just checked on OpenWRT. They tried two years ago, and had several
problems related to the RedHat-isms that pervade systemd, including this one:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=49599

    lifehacksback 2015-01-31 02:32:29