:: Re: [DNG] vim8
Author: Dave Turner
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vim8
On 15/03/17 22:31, Antonio Trkdz.tab wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have few questions.
>
> I am on (devuan) jessie..
> Given that "mixing stable and testing branches is recipe for
> disaster", is it safe to apt install vim version 8 from ascii?
>
> I pinned the ascii packages to priority 50 in preferences and I get:
>
> # apt-get install -t ascii vim
> libncurses5 libncurses5:i386 libncurses5-dev libncursesw5 libtinfo-dev
> libtinfo5 libtinfo5:i386 ncurses-bin vim-common vim-runtime vim-tiny xxd
> Suggested packages:
> ncurses-doc ctags vim-doc vim-scripts indent
> Recommended packages:
> libgpm2:i386
> vim vim-runtime xxd
> libncurses5 libncurses5:i386 libncurses5-dev libncursesw5 libtinfo-dev
> libtinfo5 libtinfo5:i386 ncurses-bin vim-common vim-tiny
> 10 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1298 not upgraded.
> Need to get 8703 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 30.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> Would it be better to install from source?
> Can I remove vim.tiny after (or before) installing vim?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Antonio

If the version of vim you need is in backports use that.

If it is not, then you have a choice of living dangerously and using the
packages from testing, or installing from source.

If you DO decide to install from source may I recommend that you find
'Build-Pkg-Smart-Way.pdf'

http://goo.gl/mmhqh    has it.

You end up creating your own .deb package and installing that so that
dpkg and apt-get are fully aware of it.

If there are not too many dependencies I tend to use the package from
unstable. Sometimes I get away with it, and sometimes I don't and have
to do it the hard way...

DaveT