:: [DNG] getting surf from backports
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] getting surf from backports
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 08:25:25AM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 07:10:00PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > I have found two browser-related devuan packages that have surf in
> > their names.
> >
> > surf
> > netsurf
> >
> > Is either of them relted to the surf you are documenting?
> >

> Hi Hendrik,
>
> you should use the package "surf". The default version in jessie is
> 0.6, but I would warmly suggest you to get the 0.7, e.g. from
> jessie-backports.

Just noticed
    surf --version
doesn't work.

But aptitude indeed does tell me I'm using 0.6.

Looking at backports. Now have surf 0.7.

With the backports lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, will everything automatically
get upgraded to the backports version if I do
    aptitude update
    aptitude upgrade
?  I don't see anything in /etc/apt to stop this.  I'd like to be able to have some
control over which packages I get from backports.

Or am I better off from a security perspective to always get backports updates for
everything?

-- hendrik