:: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the …
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New documentation on the Surf browser
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:00:15PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 17:36:34 +0100
> >
> > No discussion intended, but you might want to have another look at
> > free and libre OpenStreetMap: https://osm.org/
> >
> > Runs like a charm in /every/ not-textonly browser and is, at least for
> > most of my use cases, superior in many, many details.
>
> I think OpenStreetMap is a European Thang. Here in the US, it can't
> match addresses to locations. It also has no way of custom-changing a
> route, which IIRC is the only thing that Google Maps couldn't do in
> Surf. And, as expected, it has neither Street View, Satellite View, nor
> store locations.

Well, it may have started in the UK, but it is now very international.
It mainly depends on local people maintaining their areas, and there is
a very active contingent in the USA. But there are areas which are not
well mapped, and it sounds as if you have sampled one such.
OSM is very often far superior to Google maps with much more detail,
up to date, and better accuracy. But the coverage is uneven.

OSM is very much open in the same sense as devuan, so what about
improving your area if it is not so well mapped?

I hope this is not getting too far off topic.

ael