:: Re: [DNG] Browsers
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Browsers
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:08:44 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> Now to figure out how to bind keytrokes or menu entries. I currently
> use xcfe, completely in dfault configuration. After coming as
> refugee from gnome and kde, I hesitate to cuddle up with a new DE and
> invest real effort into it.
>
> Is this a kind of refugee syndrome? never feeling I'm home any more?

Yes, it is! You're a refugee, running from bad software. Good software
goes bad. Back in the days of Windows, you just sucked it up and endured
ever more inconveniences and workarounds. Even when you began Linux (or
Unix or BSD), you sucked it up, because you didn't know your
alternatives.

But as time went on, you voted with your feet. Gnome went to Gnome 3,
you voted with your feet. Kmail became (the abomination) Kmail 2, you
voted with your feet. Systemd corrupted Debian: You fled.

And every time you moved, you had ever less patience for the silliness
of developers taking "good enough" software and trashing it up with
needless features erasing its original value, and you migrated ever
more frequently. And one day, a new DE came along, and you hesitated to
cuddle up with it, because you knew it would go bad all too soon, and
you knew you could take a very simple GOSFUI (Graphical Operating
System Facing User Interface), bolt it together with some helpers
**OF YOUR CHOICE**, and have a system you could use efficiently.

And one day you realize you *do* feel at home, but your computer
consists of simple software fastened together to *your* specifications,
which are stored in your home directory and backed up every day, safely
out of the way of the likes of Gnome or Debian.

Welcome home!

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive