:: [DNG] Oh my lord has Surf improved!…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Temas antiguos: Re: [DNG] Browsers
Asunto: [DNG] Oh my lord has Surf improved! was Browsers
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 19:39:56 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> If you don't mind minimal stuff (i.e., a browser that just browse the
> WWW and downloads files on request), then surf+tabbed is a very good
> and stable solution. Here are the links:
>
> http://surf.suckless.org/
> http://tools.suckless.org/tabbed/
>
> The setup is extremely simple. You just "apt-get install tabbed surf"
> and bind your preferred keystroke or menu entry to:
>
> "tabbed surf -g -e"
>
> and you are done. Well, you still need a good "man tabbed" and "man
> surf" to get things done...

Holy cow! Drop everything, do what KatolaZ recommends, and you won't
believe the results.

If you're like me, you long ago threw Surf in the garbage can because
it was incompatible with every web technology less than 20 years old.
Well, time to try it again, because Surf has changed. Does it play
Youtube? You bet, better than ANY other browser. Does it do Googlemaps?
You bet, with the exception that you can't change routes, and there's
no way to vanish the nav window without closing it. But still, it does
googlemaps better than anything except Chromium, and obviously
Googlemaps deliberatly included halloween code to screw up browsers
other than Chromium.

Does it do CSS? Beautifully, and just like Firefox, Chromium and
Palemoon (when Palemoon decides to work). Does it do Javascript? That's
a big question, but so far it looks like it. It certainly has no
trouble with my Troubleshooting Course Cost Estimater at
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/onsite_cost_estimator.htm .

But wait, maybe it instantly and silently aborts like Midori, Xombrero
and other "lightweight" browers provided with Void Linux. Oh no it
doesn't. I ran Youtube videos for 25 minutes before such a problem,
and the PS command shows both surf and tabbed still running: I just
can't find them (yet).

But wait, doesn't it do that Palemoon/Firefox thang, where after you
open a few tabs it slows your whole OS to a crawl? Not so far?

And of course, driving Surf after other browsers is like driving a
Jaguar XKE after driving a Lincoln Town Car with a trunk full of bricks.

LOL, I'm going to have to change a few of my Openbox hotkeys because
they conflict with Tabbed hotkeys. No problem: I'd rather keep Tabbed
as standard as possible.

Try surf (with tabbed) again. This isn't your father's surf.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive