:: Re: [DNG] Life After Firefox 56
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Life After Firefox 56
Hi,

Well, yes, I am disappointed that they want to give up on Thunderbird
too. More below.

On 24/02/17 03:01, golinux@??? wrote:
> Lockdown/branding is not just happening to the desktop. We've known for
> some time that the Firefox we've loved for over a decade is about to
> suffer a similar fate. Those that like to pimp out their browser (like
> me) will find this Mozillazine thread useful.
>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3027638
>
> Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution to the direction corporate
> decisions are taking us. How will we respond? Do we want to keep
> Firefox as the default browser in ascii? Or jump ship? Time to start
> testing browser options and sharing experiences . . .

I don't know, you are doomed with the "most popular" browser that gets
pushed on to everyone.... I won't use Chrome unless in absolute sufference.

Plugins are mostly not required, enough built-ins cover anything that a
plugin might have been useful for. However, given that the world is
going DRM crazy, perhaps more content won't be playable in the browser
(a good reason to use youtube-dl if it can get the content).

As for addons/extensions..... I am pissed off that it is so difficult
for developers of the current ones is so great and many will jump ship
if they /must/ use the new web extensions.

Howvever, there might be a positive in all of this, well a couple of
positives actually. First, if it makes Firefox more secure, that can
only be a good thing. Second, the world of Chrome extensions might open
up and the flood gates to port them across to Firefox might be good -- I
don't know how close the two ecosystems are.

Firefox is going to be a a super performing browser when they get their
next generation in to place, but will have lost too many users by then?
I think they are fighting a losing battle with users, developers and
their own future. Cudos for trying to improve things, but not at the
expense of being just like Chrome.

Perhaps we'll have to end up with a Chromium based browser as the next
best thing, to try and keep some privacy and sanity whilst attempting to
keep from the clutches of Googl.

Hell, if worst comes to worst, I might just start using Tor Browser
bundle and that at least uses "ESR" (extended support releases) AND if
the addons / extensions are screwed, then TBB will be something that I
can still use, even if I become limited from not having the great addons
I now have in my Firefox profile.

Cheers
AndrewM