:: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme

yes we are still turtles :^) but at least we are not struggling to
catch up with badly designed toolkits. The reasons for our delay in
releasing Devuan 1.0 Jessie stable are very different, only one of
them explained below:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Jochen Fahrner wrote:

> Am 23.02.2017 um 00:25 schrieb Hendrik Boom:
> > But it *is* importnt to have a collection of at least one desktop that
> > actually works in accordance with our commitment to freedom, and its
> > consequent configurability.
>
> That's right. But does it have to be a complete integrated desktop
> environment?

I wonder about the concept of "integration" in desktop environments:
from the ORB broker craze onward (corba etc.) it just went completely
bonkers. One can build a perfectly functional desktop with time, love
for details and tools already available, even avoiding GTK.

That said, I think our usecase is not only desktop, to the contrary:
Devuan is a base distro and our main usecase is people wanting to
build their own things using Devuan (big up to the derivatives!)
without being forced to buy into an "integrated environment", but
thriving with using their own combination of tools.

Golinux has done an outstanding work with the looks of Devuan,
starting from the website to finish with the purpy desktop, but we
must admit the integration of this part is one of the main reasons we
are so late, since the Linux desktop has become an hairball of stupid
freedesktop standards.

If noone manages to fix the default desktop installed using d-i, then
we'll drop the idea of fixing it and present the Devuan-live packed
together by Refracta's author fsmithred as the "official Devuan for
desktop". The d-i installer (aka still useful hairball) will stay for
the many other usecases where its desired.

ciao