:: Re: [DNG] corrupted aptitude state.…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] corrupted aptitude state. (WAS: python-sipsimple dependencies
On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 04:36:13PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:58:10AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > So uninstalling and purging aptitude's configuration looks viable. As long as it
> > doesn't do nasties like uninstalling grub and wicd, which it was threatening to do
> > a while ago.
> >
> > But I might first create myself an up-to-date bootable USB installation stick just
> > in case.
> >

> There are thousands of Debian/Devuan installations out there which
> have never used aptitude. I know that, for some misterious reason that
> defies my logic, apt-get "is no longer the recommended primary tool"
> for package management in Debian, and a similar death-sentence has
> been issued for dselect in the same page:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement
>
> But again, I personally don't see the reason why this should be the
> case at all, if we exclude the classic "oh, they are very old cli-only
> tools, and anything that is old should become obsolete, sooner or
> later, so better sooner than later because we need to reimplement them
> in a more complicated and disfunctional way..."
>

> The few times I have tried aptitude in the last ten years or so, I
> have always ended up with zillions of useless packages installed just
> because they were "recommended" or "suggested". It is exactly this
> "I-am-a-stupid-but-still-idiotproof-software" a(p|t)titude that I find
> very disturbing.
>
> > Yes, I got myself into an ugly mess.
> >

> Not at all. There is nothing that you can't get sorted by using apt-*
> and/or dpkg, and a bit of time and patience. Unless you have gone all
> the way down to find yourself typing something like "Yes, my dear
> apt-get-I-know-everything, I understand very well that by removing
> this damn package I will most probably destroy my system, but you know
> what? I want you to proceed anyway, immediately, and I also would
> appreciate if you could just shut the fuck up and mind your business
> in the future!" :D

Now looking for documentation. Every documentation file I find seems to have a
slightly different combination of options and commands, so I conclude the ones I
found are incomplete or obsolete or both.

Where can I find complete documentation for apt-*?

In particular, is there an option I can place on an install or remove command that
will report what it is going to do without actually doing it?

-- hendrik