:: [DNG] corrupted aptitude state. (WA…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] corrupted aptitude state. (WAS: python-sipsimple dependencies
On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 03:36:09PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:06:14AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > I don't want to pull anything for Debian. What I had used was a third-party
> > package repository for a specific application that was more up-to-date than
>
> My point was that, indeed, 95%-97% of the packages you are using
> actually are bare, untouched, Debian packages :) Still, thanks to
> amprolla, if you use Devuan repos you should manage to avoid
> systemd-related dependencies.
>
> > Debian's jessie repository. I don't see why that application would have anything
> > to do with systemd. And I set it up long ago when Devuan and Debisn were still a
> > lot closer to each other. Still, after a while, its dependencies seem to have
> > infected my aptitude -- but only in interactive mode.
> >

> I really don't see what you mean here by "infected". If you don't have
> Debian repos in your sources.list, there is no way any Debian package
> can be installed into your system without passing through amprolla. If
> you mix-up repos, then you deserve to suffer, and to suffer alone (and
> a lot) :D

I did not ever have the actual Debian respositories in my sources.list.
But I did have a third-party repository that contained some up-to-date packages
for the OCaml programming language instead of the obsolete ones from jessie.
It appears, though, that at some point other packages got into it, packages that
have nothing to do with OCaml, and those are causing trouble.

> > I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve reinstalling Devuan from scratch.
> > I'll do that if necessary. But that has already been discussed elsewhere on this
> > mailing list.
>
> Sorry but I have never managed to digest aptitude, let alone use it,
> so I can't help you. I have actually never been able to understand why
> one would use anything like aptitude when you have apt-* and
> dselect. But this is obviously the biased view of a poor caveman :)

So uninstalling and purging aptitude's configuration looks viable. As long as it
doesn't do nasties like uninstalling grub and wicd, which it was threatening to do
a while ago.

But I might first create myself an up-to-date bootable USB installation stick just
in case.

Yes, I got myself into an ugly mess.

-- hendrik