:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Why settle for bad when you can have excellent for free? But you don't
> see it, so we're wasting time talking.

Actually I do see exactly what you are saying - and I have come across resolvers with poor performance. For **for the duration of an install**, just how many DNS records need to be resolved ? Suppose every DNS lookup took (say) a whole second, well that's going to make a huge difference to the overall install time isn't it ?
I'm suggesting that spending a lot of valuable dev time knocking a few seconds off* an install isn't the best use of that resource.

* If it does, will it actually save more time than it takes to install the resolver ?

AFTER install, that's another matter. Your setup you describe is post-install (yes, I can see the reasons for it), it is not peri-install where in general I can't.