:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 03:34:20PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 04:18:10PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > > I am strongly convinced that we don't want to (and we should not, by
> > > any means) be responsible for DNS configuration, mainly because we
> > > don't want to have users complaining because they "..have set up the
> > > fallback DNS during Devuan installation, but then it got removed when
> > > I restarted my laptop...".
> > >
> > > No automatism should take care of policy. No automatism can cure
> > > ignorance.
> >
> > This is precisely the reason we're giving the user a chance to perform their
> > choice of DNS setting, unlike what they decided to do at Debian (silently
> > configure Goggle DNS servers as a fallback with no possible user interaction).
> >

> I thought we were talking about a DNS fallback at *install* time. If
> this is about managing DNS serverd *after* installation, this is
> probably something we should not care about at all, IMHO. It's the
> user's responsibility to set their networking, not ours...

Yes. But it is also desirable for the installer to be able to set up a
system that is useful to most users. Which certainly can involve
setting up enough networking that the user can choose and installl extra
pakages later.

But if course, there should always be the option of not installing
such a system. But that's not something for the beginner to stumble
into blindly.

-- hendrik