:: Re: [DNG] eudev status
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Anto
To: David Hare
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] eudev status

On 26/12/16 15:48, David Hare wrote:
> Anto, I just compiled, packaged (jessie, amd64), installed and tested
> your (unmodified) eudev and gudev sources.
>
> First I installed the debs to my current live-image chroot. The
> rebuilt image boots, runs and behaves normally, can't see any problem
> with it. Therefore the initramfs hooks are there and doing their job.
>
> I then installed to my current running system. No issues with the
> upgrade. Used dpkg -i, first libudev1 then udev. It's all good so far.
>
> Your version is current (I did not maintain mine), has an organised
> git system and does actually work so I will support yours in future.
> Please do post the deb packages. Thanks Anto, you did a great job.
>
> Next.. consolekit2? http://exegnulinux.net/nosystemd/pool/main/c/consolekit/

Hello David,

You are welcome. I am glad if you found it useful.And thanks a lot for
sharing your experience.

My main intention to put it on a public git repository is to make it
easier for the professionals to fork or pull it into a git repository
and maintain it, instead of being maintained by an amateur like me.

In regards the deb packages, I actually prefer not to provide them in
order to minimise the risk of breaking somebody else's PC. As you know,
unless users read the debian/control file and manually install all
dependencies prior to installing eudev, dpkg --install will not pull
them unlike apt-get install.So I think by forcing the users to compile
it, they will have to install those dependencies which I think is safer.

I have also put the orig and debian tarballs on
https://github.com/anto/eudev/releases/tag/v3.2.1-1 and
https://github.com/anto/libgudev/releases/tag/v230-2.2. So users who are
interested to try can just do for instance the following to compile
eudev package:

$ tar xJf eudev_3.2.1.orig.tar.xz
$ tar xJf eudev_3.2.1-1.debian.tar.xz
$ mv debian eudev-3.2.1/
$ cd eudev-3.2.1
$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

At this point, the users who didn't install the build dependencies will
get errors. I hope that theywouldrealise that they also have to install
package dependencies before installing the deb packages that they need
using dpkg --install.

Yes. After I had eudev running, a part from consolekit I also stripped
acpid, dbus, kmod, udisks2, upower, and some other packages from
anything related to systemd. The list is too long for me to maintain so
I didn't upgrade them until now. I just regularly check Devuan
repository for newer versions.

Cheers,

Anto