:: Re: [DNG] Wifi Script within Debian…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Wifi Script within Debian InstallerNetworking on installation: was Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 06:07:05PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

> Cool.
>
> I therefore suggest that:
>
> * Somebody investigate, in the current script,
> the advantages of using
> wpa_passphrase >> wpa_supplicant.conf to set up a WPA SSID, and
> echo network={\nssid="$whatever"\nkey_mgmt=NONE\n} >> wpa_supplicant
> for an unencrypted SSID

Who should do that? For what reason? The current method to identify
wifi connections in the installer works pretty good. The rant was
about the availability of non-free firmware, which in any case is not
managed by the installer, but directly by the kernel, which tries to
locate a matching firmware by looking into /lib/firmware.

It seems that there is some mist in the horizon...

> * If the current script fails for a certain SSID, call conman and/or
> wicd to make an attempt.

There is neither wicd nor conman in the installer...

> * Some of us (including me) study what really happens when one
> connects, as a dhcp client, to a WPA/WPA2 equipped SSID, and do so
> within the new ip command worldview (not ipconfig, that's deprecated).

uh? dhcp has nothing to do with wifi authentication, and you don't
need to know anything about ip or ifconfig if you are using a dhcp
client...

It seems that there is a lot of mist in the horizon...

> * Every distro I ever tried had lots of trouble with wifi. In my life
> experiences, I've found it immensely helpful to pipe wpa_passphrase
> into wpa_supplicant.conf right up front so at least you aren't
> getting bounced on ssid or password, for wpa/wpa2 ssids without
> certificates.

As I have already said, problems with wifi are due to the fact that
wifi authentication has far more exceptions than rules. And in most of
the cases you don't want to handle that complexity in the
installer. The installer works fine with a lot of different wifi
configurations. The rant was about the (un)availability of non-free
wifi firmware in the official devuan installer.

You are probably trying to solve a problem that does not exist.

HND

KatolaZ