:: Re: [DNG] Networking on installatio…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Networking on installation
On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 12:13:57 -0600
Patrick Meade <patrick.meade@???> wrote:

> On 12/07/2016 11:23 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > * Because most wifi software sucks, I suggest Devuan roll its own
> > CLI software, for the installation, that iwlist wlan0 scanning
> > lists the access points, takes the ssid and password, and then
> > appends the result of wpa_passphrase to the bottom
> > of /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. In my experience this
> > is the most reliable way to get wifi running for a given access
> > point.
>
> On 12/05/2016 12:55 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Wifi is always problematic. Always. NetworkManager, Wicd, and even
> > the wpa_* all seem to fail at just the wrong time. If I were
> > Devuan, I'd create a wifi module that:
> >
> > 1) Displays the wifi signals in signal strength order
> >
> > 2) Asks which you want, THAT YOU HAVE A PASSWORD FOR!!!
> >
> > 3) Ask for the password twice,verify they match
> >
>  > 4) Ask for default router
>  >     a) With very helpful prompts and help

>  > 5) Ask if they'd like default dns 8888 and 8844
>  >     a) If not, suggest the default router

> > 6) Run acquired passphrase through wpa_passphrase >>
> > wpa_supplicant.conf
> >
>  > 7) By hook or by crook, get a DHCP lease
>  >     a) If necessary, put DHCP server on this computer

>  > 8) Verify lookup of devuan.org
>  >     a) If not, run some intelligent diagnostic software

> Is anybody working on this yet? If not, I might give it a shot this
> weekend. Steve, your vision for this is a subcomponent of the
> devuan-installer project, right?
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I'm not informed on projects within Devuan, but yes, its biggest need
is during the installation process.

Please feel free to email me about details: I've done a fair amount
with wpa_cli, wpa_gui and wpa_passphrase, and it's been a long time
since I used Networkmanager or Wicd.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz