:: Re: [DNG] Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 re…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Upgrading Debian Wheezy to Devuan Jessie
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan GNU+Linux Beta2 release
On 12/04/2016 10:26 PM, Robert Storey wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> Refracta saved the day! Thank goodness it exists, or else I would
>> not be able to install Devuan on any of my machines. Please note
>> that with Refracta, I did not need to set up networking at all
>> during the installation, but Wicd was there on the first boot and
>> getting wifi working was a piece of cake.
>
> After I made this post, someone sent me a message to ask if I was using
> fsmithred's new "Unofficial Devuan Beta Live" iso or Refracta8 to install.
> I just thought I should clarify that I used the Refracta8 stable release.
> Specifically, this one:
>
> refracta8_xfce_amd64-20161013_1314.iso
>
> cheers,
> Robert

You could have done the same with the unofficial devuan-live.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/unofficial_devuan_live/
It installs from the media without network using refractainstaller (the
cli version). I even added the wireless_drivers folder so that they can be
added without having to use a network cable. And wicd is installed.

One advantage to using the unofficial live is that you get to see the
beautiful devuan purpy desktop, login and boot themes.

In the OP, you wrote:
> If there's something I should have done during the Devuan install but I
> missed it, please let me know. However, I should point out that I am a very
> experienced Linux user, so if I couldn't set up networking on Devuan, I can
> only imagine what a fresh-faced newbie would think.

You could have, but shouldn't have to:

alt-F2 (to get a console)
cp /cdrom/firmware/* /target/lib/firmware/
chroot /target
dpkg -i /lib/firmware/firmware-realtek*.deb
(replace realtek if that's not the one you need.)

The installer still won't see the wireless nic*, but it will be there when
you reboot. (* This might not be true for all drivers. I used
firmware-realtek, and I always have to reboot after I add it - not just
with this devuan installer.)

Unfortunately, wicd won't be installed, so you'll still need a wire or
need to know how to use wpa-cli. (I'm pretty sure it's installed)

-fsmithred