:: Re: [DNG] Devuan KVM guest install …
Author: Miroslav Rovis
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan KVM guest install using ISO, virt-install and text based installation
Hi!

I'll be looking into this tutorial, if... (see below) :

On 161107-02:08+1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> Devuan guest install for web server on Devuan KVM Box.

> https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_beta/devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_amd64_CD.iso
>
> Mounted it at /cdrom (just a directory mount, simple enough).

> virt-install \
>     --virt-type kvm \
>     --os-variant=debianwheezy \
>     --name=www-affinityvision-com-au
>     --cpu=host --vcpus=2 --memory 2048
>     --disk path=/srv/kvm/images/www-affinityvision-com-au--disk0 \
>     --cdrom /path/to/Devuan-ISO-FILE \
>     --graphics none --network bridge=br0 \
>     --boot
> kernel=/cdrom/install.amd/vmlinuz,initrd=/cdrom/install.amd/initrd.gz,kernel_args='console=ttyS0'

I said would [be looking into this tutorial, if...].
If this:
> Once the install was done, I dumped the xml, edited it, undefined the
> guest and then re-created it from the adjusted xml. The changes
> required (to the xml exported file) were to stop it booting the
> installer and to boot from the disk image instead.

means what you install with virt-install on an LVM volume on your real
hard drive can then be booted normally, regularly, leaving the Virtual
Machine behind?

Do I get it right?

> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>

> # Script used to install VMs.
> # You have to lvcreate the disk(s) first!
> # lvcreate -L sizeG -n $name vg0

> # lvcreate -L 12G -n www-affinityvision-com-au--disk0 vg0
> Logical volume "www-affinityvision-com-au--disk0" created

> # lvdisplay /dev/mapper/vg0-www--affinityvision--com--au----disk0
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Path                /dev/vg0/www-affinityvision-com-au--disk0
>   LV Name                www-affinityvision-com-au--disk0
>   VG Name                vg0
>   LV UUID                ffN5RP-YNZI-iSkz-PXb1-8o8A-CHh3-LlPIbq

I'm almost sure I do get it right.

And also, Andrew, you should reply to even your own messages, to keep
all the related conversations in the same thread.

While a user can find it by sticking
[
in any thread, but I chose the
thread with two of your messages, one on:
2016-10-11 23:07
the other on:
2016-11-06 16:08
(and it's *good* that you resent that message, since somewhat complex
issues sometimes don't settle in one go with everybody, not with me ;-)
and I was looking for examples like that one of yours)
],
While a user can find all your messages in DNG's (now Devuan-Discuss :
good change! but do keep the old name around too, for searches!) Lurker
by sticking, in (say this) thread:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20161106.150857.ddc5e862.en.html#20161106.150857.ddc5e862
[by sticking]:
au:McGlashan
in the search box, it's so much nicer and more readily used when you get
the whole thread like for the other subject where you participated:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/thread/20161106.151359.452cfd96.en.html#20161106.151359.452cfd96

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis