:: [DNG] Friends don't let friends use…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Friends don't let friends use Norton Commander [clones] and other footguns
Since others mentioned the reposity certificate issue,
I just thought I'd post a precautionary note,
having found in Midnight Commander, the perfect tool
inadvertently wipe out a website during a sudden
impulse to clean up the directory hosting multiple websites.

Probably the underlying problem was mixing miscellaneous
files into the home directory, which is the top-level write
accessible to me. Nevertheless, Norton was accessory
to that momentary lapse from the path.

For the well know rm <hyphen>rf footgun, I
usually invoke it as follows, using an alias for the right side of the pipe

echo todie | xargs rm -rf

And I'll ramble further by briefly reporting on the effects
and recovery from water spilled on a Thinkpad T430, and
allowed to soak in for ~30s in a glass-bumping surprise
during mid-sleep lethargy.

On initial startup, the LED lit, but the screen stayed black.
After several times on a mild radiator, the backlight
lighted, boot to kernel panic, proved to be a memory
issue from BIOS diagnostics available by F10 at boot.

I removed the memory module immediately under the keyboard
and swapped in the module from under rear removable cover.
Then booted normally.

I could hypothesize that the board, which operates at 1.7V
could have got 5V when the water splashed in: the power was
on, OS in a sleep state.

Have fun, and avoid foot guns!

--
Joel Roth