:: Re: [Libbitcoin] Encrypting a walle…
Author: William Swanson
To: Police Terror
CC: libbitcoin@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] Encrypting a wallet with AES
For what you are trying to do, absolutely do *not* use raw AES. There
are a thousand little things you need to get right, and messing any of
them up will destroy the security of the whole system. Instead, you
want to use something like libsodium, which provides high-level
wrappers for all the things you need to do. Libsodium is already a
libbitcoin dependency via ZeroMQ, so it shouldn't expand your code
footprint either.

For turning your password into a private key, libsodium provides two
options, scrypt and argon2. The argon2 algorithm is the current
state-of-the-art in terms of password hashing, but some people prefer
older, more battle-tested algorithms like scrypt.

Once you have an encryption key, you can use either the AES256-GCM or
the ChaCha20-Poly1305 algorithm to encrypt the data. These two
algorithms are called AEAD's, which is short for Authenticated
Encryption with Additional Data. Not only will they encrypt the data,
but they will also append a cryptographic checksum to detect
tampering. This is necessary to avoid padding-oracle attacks and other
such things.

Besides the key and the raw data, both AES256-GCM and
ChaCha20-Poly1305 require a nonce, or a "number used once". If you
*ever* re-use the same nonce with the same key but different data, you
will disclose the secret key to the attacker. So, never do that! One
approach is to hash the data before encrypting, then use the hash as
the nonce. This is probably the safest option for data at rest. For
data in motion, the general strategy is to negotiate a fresh key for
each session, and then use a message counter as the nonce.

This should get you on a firm cryptographic footing, at least for
encrypting the wallet on-disk.

Another option is to use the Airbitz SDK, which is an open-source
commercial product for this exact job. It has backups, a read-write
data store, PIN login, password recovery, 2-factor authentication, and
a bunch of other stuff. It might be an alternative to building
everything from scratch.

-William