:: Re: [DNG] hplip need systemd
Author: Go Linux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] hplip need systemd
On Tue, 10/4/16, Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

To: dng@???
Date: Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 2:51 PM

Quoting Bardot J??r??me (bardot.jerome@???):

>> I don't know if you know but hplip need policykit and therefore systemd.
>>

> You don't need _package_ HPLIP. You just need printer-driver-hpcups and
> printer-driver-hpijs. Package hplip is an omnibus desktop-oriented
> packaging of the HPIJS and HPLIP drivers, and therefore includes
> GNOME-dependency hooks.

Indeed, cups does print. But it doesn't have perks of the HP device manager that lets you clean/align and check the status of the cartridges etc. At least I haven't found that in cups. So I'm keeping my good ol' squeeze around that has hplip installed so I access those functions should I ever need them.

Related tip . . . my black cartridge dried out a few months ago. I found a youtube video that offered several suggestions how to get it working again. I chose to soak the head in warm distilled water for a few hours. It worked!! And that cartridge is still functioning months later.

golinux