:: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect f…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect from a boot-loader?
Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):

>     Long ago I would use Ext2 as the root partition, when Grub-0.9
> didn't know of Reiserfs.

Thank you very much for clarifying about the raidtools >0.9 metadata
issue, by the way. I really hadn't seen and understood that.

Anyway, as you and Simon Hobson suggest, I was long in the habit of
having separate /boot (in those days, because of the 1024-cylinder
limit), and certainly might do so again. Back then, I had that as ext2,
and with the filesystem normally unmounted.

> Of course this scheme is certainly also usable with LILO, but
> then why not use Grub-legacy?

Well, some of us just actually preferred lilo. I honestly never saw the
advantage of grub 0.9x. 'It can parse a large list of filesystems.'
Er, how about using a bootloader that doesn't _need_ to parse the
filesystems because it notes down disk locations? 'It has a shell.'
Er, how about using a bootloader where you don't _need_ a shell because
you include a safety fallback boot configuration you can always invoke
to enter the system and recover from errors?

It's fine that people love grub 0.9x, of course, but many of us just
never found its alleged advantages even to be advantages, let alone
compelling. (Of course, there are things lilo cannot address, and never
will, starting with f*cking UEFI. ;-> )

--
Cheers,                       "We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
Rick Moen                     We believe in: rough consensus and running code."