:: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect f…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect from a boot-loader?
Le 01/10/2016 10:36, Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):
>
>> And what about RAID? I need it. And I like also Reiserfs, maybe
>> not the fastest but rock-solid; is it supported by Lilo?
> As to filesystems, lilo fortunately is able to deal with arbitrary
> choice thereof, because it finds the objects it needs for booting via
> CHS coordinates rather than by parsing filesystems.
>
> RAID1 appears to be covered by the Boot+Root+Raid+LILO HOWTO:
>
>    # BIOS=line -- if your bios is smart enough (most are not) to detect
>    that that the first disk is missing or failed and will automatically
>    boot from the second disk, then bios=81 would be the appropriate
>    entry here. This is more common with SCSI bios than IDE bios. I
>    simply plan on relocating the drive so it will replace the dead
>    drive C: in the event of failure of the primary boot drive.

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-3.html
>
> (Not a complaint, but this is an exactly repeat of an explanation posted
> to this mailing list on August 15th, in response to the same question.)
>
>> Like many, I dislike the obscurity of Grub2 configuration, but
>> it works well enough without human help.
> And I'm utterly delighted that you're happy with it!

     I'm not happy with Grub2 (I preferred Grub-legacy), but it works
with the default version of mdadm's superblock. According to the doc,
Lilo works with the old 0.90 mode only, because the superblock is at the
end of the partition and it doesn't see it. This position of the
superblock was also requested by old versions of the kernel to allow
autodetection. This points to the problem of Lilo: it doesn't seem to be
actively maintained.

     Didier