:: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect f…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What does Devuan expect from a boot-loader?
On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 06:44:21AM +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Like most people on this mailing list I am shocked to notice the
> increasing bloat that is going into boot-loaders like grub*.
> Boot-loaders are becoming like a stripped down operating system
> instead of just containing the minimal necessary functionality to
> understand disk and partition formatting.

> Does Devuan support this
> trend? Does it plan to write or fork its own boot-loader? As far as I
> am concerned, as long as a boot-loader can read GPT and MSDOS disks
> plus extN partitions, that should be enough.

Here are some reasons for the extra features/complexity of
grub:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/164123/what-are-the-advantages-of-grub-over-lilo

I'm personally happy with lilo, and Devuan allows me to use it.
Maybe grub is preferred because recompiling a kernel or init
ram disk risks making a lilo system unbootable.

Joel