:: Re: [DNG] vdev - the next generatio…
Author: Ismael L. Donis Garcia
To: Lista de Devuan
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev - the next generation
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Ronnquist" <ralph.ronnquist@???>
To: <Dng@???>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:23 PM
Subject: [DNG] vdev - the next generation

> Given that little has been mentioned abot vdev lately, I thought to drop
> this FYI to report were I am at on this.
>
> Basically, my vdev packaging project reached it's first milestone some two
> weeks ago, of being installable and usable on Devuan 1.0.0 beta. That
> means, that if you have a Devuan 1.0.0 beta, you can install the packages
> for using vdev, but, by including a handy script, you can alternate
> between it and the original udev (with reboot in between).
>
> Thus, it doesn't fully commit to using vdev by replacing udev.
>
> I believe these packages will be included in "unstable" soonish. Until
> then you'll have to do manual download and install from
>    https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/vdev

> Now I'm looking towards the next generation of vdev. The vdev software is
> complete in terms of machinery, but incomplete in terms of dealing with
> the full range of possible devices. In particular, it doesn't do
> usb_modeswitch for modem dongles, and it doesn't know much about scanners.
> About half of the udev deal with those.
>
> To that end, I've been exploring the udev rule set in Devuan 1.0.0 beta.
> There are nearly 2800 different rules, with many rules specific for
> particular devices, and some rules spanning ranges of devices. However,
> there are only a handful of different "actions" happening for them,
> including both the installation into the /dev tree with appropriate mode
> settings, and some initial device control.
>
> I intend to "compile" that into vdev by separating out the classification
> aspect, so as to install that directly into the hwdb properties. Then I'll
> add the few additional vdev actions needed based on those hwdb properties.
>
> That should cater for most of the possible devices. The compilation work
> will be done by scripting under manual guidance, simply because there are
> too many variations in the udev rule authoring to allow a fully automated
> process. (For some of them you really need to hold your breath while
> processing them)
>
> In practice, it'll mean to produce additional input files to the hwdb
> generation, with additional properties for devices as identified by the
> hwdb key.
>
> Realistically I won't have this ready until late October. Until then, all
> and any feedback on the current packages is appreciated.
>
> Ralph.

For me it is very important to understand for someone devuan which knowingly
continue the development of vdev, as we all know the fate of udev. And even
more when I get the impression of being half orphan right now vdev project.

I am sure that many people are greatly concerned about this issue which I
consider very important, and to which we should pay the greatest possible
effort on our part.

Thank you for all the work that is proposed
========
| ISMAEL |

========
Only for the small landowners and Cubans companies
Website: www.sisconge.byethost15.com