:: Re: [DNG] Kernel error requesting U…
Author: Brad Campbell
To: Edward Bartolo, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Kernel error requesting UEFI upgrade.
On 19/09/16 22:53, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If DNG administrators consider this email not appropriate for the
> list, please delete it.
>
> A kernel error is requesting me to upgrade my HP Probook 4540s UEFI.
> The error involves the i915 graphics driver. On another laptop, the
> one on which I coded simple-netaid, i915 failed to turn on the
> backlight for a whole year. However, at that time I found a workaround
> using a kernel parameter. I wish I find another kernel parameter that
> prevents the current error. Since DNG is read by many who may have
> used kernel parameters to override sloppy firmware implementations, I
> am posting here for some help.

This is really the wrong place. You want to be reaching out to the i915
developers at : dri-devel@???

It's not insisting you upgrade UEFI, it's attempting to say "Your BIOS
has mis-programmed the GPU. Maybe if you are lucky your vendor might
have a newer BIOS that does not do dumb stuff, so try upgrading".

My overall experience with this has been that in general the Windows
drivers don't care about the issue or else the BIOS would not have made
release, so your chances of a viable update are slim to none. Approach
the guys who actually write the driver and give them some useful
information to work with, and you might be pleasantly surprised with a
workaround or fix.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them