:: Re: [DNG] sans-dbus: was Mass bug f…
Author: Miroslav Rovis
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] sans-dbus: was Mass bug filing: use and misuse of dbus-launch (dbus-x11)
Thanks for more interest! Good news very likely coming! (And I'm happy I
can stay a little bit longer ;-) )

On 160919-11:13-1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 09:51:54PM +0200, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> > >
> > > apt-get remove dbus doesn't help with de**an packaged apps dependent on
> > > dbus such as inkscape and liferea.
> > >
> > (unable to make this experiment quicker and simpler)
> > I'm attempting:
> > # emerge -ptuDN inkscape
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies         ... done!

> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=app-text/poppler-0.26.0:=[cairo]" have been masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> > - app-text/poppler-9999::gentoo (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
> > /etc/portage/package.mask:
> > #sys-fs/udev-init-scripts
> > # (steveL) pulls in gdbus
> > # 2 ln were temporarily masked. Else wouldn't have 'emerge world'.
> >
> > - app-text/poppler-0.47.0::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
> > - app-text/poppler-0.46.0-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
> > - app-text/poppler-0.45.0::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
> > - app-text/poppler-0.42.0::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
> >
> > (dependency required by "media-gfx/inkscape-0.91-r3::gentoo" [ebuild])
> > (dependency required by "inkscape" [argument])
> > For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
> > man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
> >

> > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies ... done!
> >
> > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
> >
> > #
> >
> > And yes, poppler pulls in dbus (if I tried to unmask it).
>
> Which poppler packages need attention?

Hey I was wrong! I can (doing it right now), I'm almost certain that I
can install Inkscape in my Gentoo.

And it's the good ole FOSS/GNU/Linix as Devuan is, true-unix! So it's
probably just a little help from our devs here at Devuan and Devuaners
can have Inkscape in sans-dbus machines!

I've prepared a text about it, but it's maybe a few hours on my 4core
AMD 965 old CPU the various installs of new and reinstalls of old
packages in new ways... So allow me to report after I complete the
installation.

> On my jessie:
>
> $ apt-cache search poppler | wc -l
> 26
>
> > Just as dev1fanboy says in this page:
> > https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/devuan-talk-version
> > "Removing dbus is more involved and requires some compromises."
> >
> > I know I have Gimp installed. And maybe if there were devs (I have to
> > remind that I'm not one, and for that reason I will soon abandon
> > actively participating for this time around and continue only following
> > the list)...
> >
> > [And maybe if there were devs] with time and enthusiasm it wouldn't be
> > too hard to make a sans-dbus Inkscape...
> >
> > # emerge -p1 liferea
> >
> > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies ... done!
> >
> > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=gnome-base/gconf-1.1.9:2" have been masked.
> > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
> > - gnome-base/gconf-3.2.6-r4::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
> > - gnome-base/gconf-3.2.6-r3::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
>
> We all know that gnome is deeply coupled with dBus.
> Separation is likely difficult, if not impossible.

Not completely true in all cases. Some of the packages our devs at
Gentoo have used without the rest of Gnome.
> Easier to accept dBus than systemd I think the security concerns are
> are less.

No way, it's not! Don't do it before you read this, my colleage in *nix,
if I'm allowed to call you so:

Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=116770&start=45#p552566

That's me in 2014 writing it. It dawned on me what dbus is about...

While it's simply a great read to go for the entire Daniel Robbins'
four pages article, just the link on Gentoo Forums is gone, you can use
this instead:

http://www.funtoo.org/OpenSSH_Key_Management,_Part_3

[While it's simply a great read] about SSH key management, it's not
required for understanding of what that dbus was doing in my machine
connected to the internet...

Doesn't this look scary (a copy from my 2014 writing above on Debian
Forums, just in case):

myself@mymachine $ ps aux | grep ssh
root      2184  0.0  0.0  54976  1004 ?        Ss   Sep06   0:00
/usr/sbin/sshd
mr        2447  0.0  0.0  10592    32 ?        Ss   Sep06   0:00
/usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session
x-session-manager
mr       15141  0.0  0.0  19980  1796 pts/9    S+   21:48   0:00 grep
ssh
myself@mymachine $

Huh? Safe using a dbus-system? I don't think so.

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia