:: Re: [DNG] Openrc
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Openrc
On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:24:45 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>      Steve,

>      I like more and more this idea of separating the tasks:
>       - pid1 (sysvinit or whatever) performs one-shot startups and
> basic supervision (like for getty),

sysvinit, right? Spawn your gettys and run the rc files, which run the
supervisor. Is that what you mean?

>       - services needing a sophisticated supervisor use a supervisor
> which is only a supervisor, not pid1,

This could be daemontools-encore or runit or s6.

>       - services which depend on conditions use specialized tools to
> wait for these conditions.

Does OpenRC do the conditional starts?

The architecture I had in mind looks something like this:

.--------.                       .----------------.
|sysvinit|     .------. run as   |runit supvisr or|

| PID1 |-----|OpenRC|----------|daemontools or |

`--------'     `------' daemon   |s6 supervisor   |

  |              |               `----------------'

  |-getty1       `-most processes    |-httpd
  |-getty1                           |-sshd
  |-...                              `-Other respawnables
  `-getty6

I once built the preceding architecture in Manjaro-OpenRC, and it
worked. Regardless of your "init system", it's always an asset to
control your own process supervisor.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28