:: Re: [DNG] vdev - scanner
Author: Dave Turner
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] vdev - android
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev - scanner
On 02/09/16 01:38, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> Ralph Ronnquist wrote on 01/09/16 08:51:
>>
>> My worry is that the OS_TYPE=255/255/255 condition is not distinct
>> enough to make the action apply exactly and only for scanners. Comparing
>> with udev rules, you'll find there are more than a few rules for USB
>> devices, and almost all of them make their classification based on the
>> vendor/product pair (rather than the capability declarations).
>
> I'm a little bit at a loss here, as I can't find anything in the vdev
> tree dealing with, say, scanners or, say, mode switching USB devices.
> Since those are major chunks in udev rules, I'm just confused. Have I
> misunderstood?
>
> I find "scanner" mentioned in the hwdb, but there is no formal
> classification of those other than identifying as usb (or pci);
> nothing classifying them as scanners (unless you'd regard the model
> label as such). I wish someone could explain things for me...
>
> Ralph.

I loathe the 'feature' of udev that forces you to create or modify
/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android to let your cheap'n'cheerful unlisted
Android Device get through udev security. And now it seems that vdev is
about to force the same thing. I know it isn't easy to completely
re-think how things should be done, do OSX and the BSDs have a different
and better way of doing this sort of thing?

I want to ask you why a database of $V/$P/$N mappings is needed. It is
my laptop and my cheap Android tablet and I want to plug it into the USB
socket and have them play nicely together. God knows what I would have
done if I was just a normal ordinary person. I would have concluded that
linux was shit and gone back to my Mac or Windoze.

dmesg knew all about my android tablet when I plugged it in, why can't
vdev pick it up from there?

this is what I had to add into 51-android having had a look at dmesg first.

#    my cheap Android tablet
ATTR{idVendor}=="1f3a", ENV{adb_user}="yes"

DaveT

(idiot boy managed to hit Reply instead of Reply List, icedove isn't as
good as it thinks it is...)