:: Re: [DNG] Distributions added to Di…
Author: Jim Murphy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Distributions added to DistroWatch waiting list
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 5:49 AM, fsmithred <fsmithred@???> wrote:
> On 08/29/2016 05:11 PM, Jim Murphy wrote:
>> FYI, DistroWatch[1] added Refracta[2] to their waiting list.

>> Refracta is a Devuan-based operating system which includes
>> several tools to help create CD/USB images of the live system.
>>
>> Hopefully more Devuan-based distributions to come.
>>
>> Congratulations to all those working on Refracta!
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> [1] http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?pollnumber=64&myaction=NewVote&issue=20160822&newvote=8#waiting
>>
>> [2] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Refracta

> Wow. Thanks!
>
> -fsr

I wish I had known about the following while Devuan was on
the waiting list.

First, if this a know thing, I apologize for the noise.

I don't know how DistroWatch has this set up, but it appears
you can "recommend", causing the vote count to increment
by one, a distribution on the waiting list. Not sure how much
weight this has on moving a distribution to their database,
but it may help. It also appears to be a one time vote for only
one distribution per device(haven't been able to totally verify
this). I found this by accident, and searching DistroWatch and
searching on the web returned negative results on this
"feature".

How to get there. Go to distrowatch.com. Select "DW Weekly"
at the top of the page. Scroll down to the Content section and
select "New additions: ...". In this section towards the bottom
you will find "DistroWatch database summary" showing the
number of distributions in each category. The one starting with
"Number of distributions waiting for evaluation:" you need to
click on "evaluation".

This should(on your first try) display the list of distributions with
a button labeled "Recommend". You should find the distribution
you would like to recommend and select the "Recommend"
button on the right. Upon selection it will change the page to
show the number of votes and no "Recommend" buttons.

Any subsequent time selecting "evaluation" will take you to the
page and only display the votes. If there is a reset to let you
vote again(after some period of time) I don't know. I would
hope there is, in case you wanted to recommend some new
distribution that shows up on the list. Maybe it is like the polls,
and is a weekly thing.

I was able to vote again by using my phone. This is how I was
able to verify the information shown above. So it would appear
that you can vote from different devices.

As there are(at the time of this writing) 7 votes for Refracta, I
assume others know how to do this.

FWIW,

Jim