:: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev packaging
Didier Kryn wrote on 29/08/16 22:40:
> Le 27/08/2016 00:45, Ralph Ronnquist a écrit :
>>
>> You can also build your own deb's by cloning
>> https://git.devuan.org/ralph.ronnquist/vdev
>
> Hi Ralph.
>
>     I had a look at the above-mentioned link with my web browser. I
> think all the text is from Jude and part of it is at the first person,
> however I couldn't find a mention of his name, which, probably Jude
> forgot to insert.

>     Do you think there's a way to mention that this is the beginning of
> the take-over of an orphaned software authored by Jude Nelson and he is
> still the author of all of it, including the description and the FAQ? Or
> maybe the documentation should be re-written.

>     I noticed with great interest that libudev-compat is completely
> independent of vdev, which is a very smart design decision of Jude. He
> further explicitly states that any other hotplugger can be used in
> place of vdev or udev, while still benefiting of libudev-compat. This,
> in my opinion, means that simpler hotpluggers, like mdev, can be used
> and allow Xserver.xorg to work, because what xorg requires is libudev's
> API. This confirms that the design of vdev is much smarter than udev, or
> that udev authors deliberately introduced a lock-in.

>     Didier

Good point. I have revised the project front page. The files otherwise
remain as copies, apart from the minor changes to the Makefiles and the
additions of "debian" subdirectories for package configurations. Plus
that I've started the drafting of man pages. Though I can't keep up the
pace with my day-job craving attention.

Ralph.