:: Re: [DNG] Which license for UMENU2?
Author: Jim Murphy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which license for UMENU2?
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:20 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm asking this question in a lot of places, but for sure I hold
> Devuan's answer in high regard.
>
> I'm putting the finishing touches on UMENU2, to the point where I'm
> ready to write the COPYING file and mark the Python files with a
> license. I'm considering two licenses:
>
> * Expat license: http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:Expat
>
> * GPL Version 2: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
>

> A couple notes: The above Expat URL says Expat license is GPL
> compatible. I don't like GPLv3 because it's too complicated and IMHO a
> little too restrictive. Expat's similar to some MIT and BSD licenses
> and the X11 license.
>
> Any opinions on which to choose?

Don't know if this would make any difference to you or not, but the
Linux kernel is released under the GPLv2 only license(AFAICT). I
remember there being quite a bit of debate about this when the
GPLv3 license was coming out. I personally don't know much
about Expat, so I won't offer any opinion on it.

The scripts I write I use GPLv2 only. "I" can change it later if I
need to.

FWIW,

Jim