:: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ende…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ended
Brad Campbell <lists2009@???> writes:
> On 16/08/16 00:09, Rick Moen wrote:
>> Quoting Adam Borowski (kilobyte@???):
>>

>>> Or, the first disk gets assigned a different position.
>>
>> Which happens when exactly? Because you're screwing around with
>> swapping in and out different HBAs? Well, if you're doing that, see
>

> Actually, this exact reason is why I moved from Lilo to Grub a few
> moons ago.
>
> It happens *when* one of the primary OS drives dies in your server and
> you get a reboot before you have a chance to fix the array.
>
> Example (because this is what triggered the move for me). You have a
> RAID1 with your root and boot on it. LILO is installed on those disks,
> and you can tell the BIOS to boot from either and it works just
> fine. One of those drives goes titsup and before you've had a chance
> to deal with it (because it's in an office 13,000km away) you get a
> power outage that exceeds the runtime of the UPS. The system cleanly
> shuts down and never comes back up because LILO does not cope with the
> fact the BIOS has re-ordered the drives.

If you configure it such that it tries to boot from 'the second disk',
it won't boot from the first when activated. The obvious idea how to
cope with that would be "Don't do it".

Apart from that, current LILO versions already do seem to support this
and even if they didn't, adding a "Try 0x81. In case it doesn't exist,
try 0x80" option to the code wouldn't be terribly complicated. Just
requires "another learning curve" ...