:: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ende…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lilo development has ended
Quoting Hendrik Boom (hendrik@???):

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 02:44:59PM -0000, dev1fanboy wrote:
> > https://lilo.alioth.debian.org/
> >
> > The author has updated their site to say:
> >
> > "NOTE: I will finish development of LILO at December 2015 because of some limitations (e.g. with BTFS, GPT, RAID). If someone want to develop this nice software further, please let me know ..."
> >
> > So I assume lilo has stopped development altogether from the last release, and we can look forward to only having the more complex grub2.
>
> lilo development may have ennded, but lilo-installer just got an
> update in debian unstable.

And, honestly, this matter needs to be seen in proper perspective.
Sometimes a piece of software is relatively simple and well enough
debugged that it makes just as much sense to call it 'finished and
stable' as it does 'unmaintained'.

Another example is procmail. There's been no functional upstream for
quite a few years, and there are even IIRC two extremely non-credible
alleged security bugs open against it, and yet everyone who's willing to
put up with its idiosyncracies remains happy with it and keeps using it.