:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: fsmithred
To: dng, arnt
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] eudev [was: vdev]
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On 08/12/2016 12:32 PM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 17:41:42 +0200, richard wrote in message
> <20160812174142.f82635d8a4201d3119759944@???>:
>

>> That's a good point. Devuan means "freedom of choice" and it would be
>> nice if a Devuan user could opt for udev,
>
> ..best way would be advice of the looming systemd "support" of udev and
> point them to Debian and the Debian mail list discussions around it and
> its hijacked udev, so they can make an informed decision. ;o)
>
>> vdev or eudev (or even mdev)
>
> ..hear, hear. :o)
>
>> But for the moment we have to create packages for vdev. I will test
>> eudev as well asap.
>
> ..eudev etc package link?

These packages were built by David Hare a little over a year ago. They
appear to work on current devuan. I don't know if he plans to update them.

add this line to your sources:
deb http://exegnulinux.net/nosystemd/ experimental main

Install this key
http://exegnulinux.net/nosystemd/pool/main/e/exegnu-archive-keyring/exegnu-archive-keyring_0.0.1_all.deb

apt-get update
apt-get install eudev (seems to install the libraries)
apt-get -t experimental install udev (honest)

It will rebuild the initrd.

Reboot.

David also put together an experimental live iso of refracta with eudev. I
recently made a live-usb for a friend with this iso when her hard drive
died, and she used it for a few weeks without any complaints.

http://exegnulinux.net/refracta/iso/eudev/

-fsr