:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 08:03:20 +1000
Ralph Ronnquist <ralph.ronnquist@???> wrote:

> Firstly, it loads vdev from initrd during the first stage boot, and
> then it exits. A snapshot of /dev taken before the next start shows
> all filemod settings to be fine.
>
> Secondly it loads vdev anew at the sysvinit startup, and then this
> stays on as a daemon. The filemod settings at this time remain good.

Ok, so things go wrong in this first stage here. I'll have a look in
rebuilding the initrd.

[..]

> Now, I would suggest a blanket revision to the debs, to remove
> the /usr prefix from all its file paths. Then
> change /etc/vdev/vdevd.conf and the initrd building scripts
> accordingly. Thereafter work out how to postinstall vdev to also
> purge systemd-udev without it messing with its dependencies. (You
> don't want the kernel uninstalled)

We need a vdev package that depends on an empty systemd-udev package.
All the other packages that depend on systemd-udev will otherwise be
uninstalled.

I just saw the vdev packages have disappeared on Aitor's site, I think
he's busy creating new ones :)

I propose not to git anymore, but to use Aitor's packages and test
these. I think there is still a lot of testing and debugging to do. And
we need more testers!

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/