:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:05:49 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> > And has someone ever played with eudev? Slackware has moved to
> > eudev. Maybe it's better to try that instead of vdev?
>
> Before trading in vdev for eudev, consider this question: What if Red
> Hat bought their way into maintainership of eudev, poetterized it, and
> emptied out previous versions on Git. That's what they did with
> dracut.

If ever this would happen there will immediately be a fork called fudev.

And what if RH bought their way into maintainership of the kernel?

> Are Gentoo and Slackware good stewards for eudev? Slackware has
> consistently avoided a commitment never to go with systemd, and Gentoo
> (as opposed to Funtoo) is very proud of their init agnostic stance,
> which of course they'll kick to the curb at the slightest pressure
> from Redhat.

I have no idea. But instead of bashing systemd, Poettering and RedHat
c.s., it would be more effective for people here to spend some time in
testing vdev, wouldn't it? (this is not meant to be Steve bashing btw)

> I love the idea of experimenting with eudev: It's free software, maybe
> we can improve vdev with what we learn from it. But for reasons stated
> in my previous two paragraphs, I think moving our target from vdev to
> eudev would be a bad idea.

So, please join the Group Of Three who are testing vdev. Without vdev
or any other standalone udev version Devuan is stillborn. This whole
vdev beast is much more complicated than a single daemon. We need
testing, input, otherwise we'll go down the drain. It is as simple as
that.

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |