Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
To: dng@???
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 2:14 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 20:56:56 +0200
aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> Some *postinst* and *postrm* files are needed in the packaging, and
> i'm working on that.

I installed the i386 packages, but these do not work quite well. It
works, but permissions and ownerships are not set correctly.

OTOH it seems to work well in a separate /mnt/vdev-test/ directory when
running vdevd from a "git clone" and after running a "make -C vdevd".
The i386 library packages are working ok, so no need to install these
from git.

The only thing that I had to correct is some entries in the
example/vdevd.conf. The "actions" dir e.g. is in the example dir and not
the build dir as stated in the conf file.

After running:

build/sbin/vdevd -v2 -c example/vdevd.conf \
-l /var/log/vdev/vdevd.log /mnt/vdev-test/

the /mnt/vdev-test/ directory is populated with AFAICS the right
devices and the right permissions/ownerships. When adding a usb stick,
I get a /mnt/vdev-test/sdb1 which can be mounted in one or another
directory.

So, at a first glance it seems to work for the moment in a separate
device directory.

Oh, BTW, when packaging vdevd, I'd opt for the /etc/vdev/ dir and not
the /usr/etc/vdev/ dir. Another thing is that the /run/vdev/ directory
does not exist and that the pid file could not be initialized. When
telling vdevd.conf to create /run/vdevd.pid it works fine.

Maybe it's an idea to first create a vdevd-shadow package which creates
a /dev/shadow/ directory and creates devices in that directory while
udev is still doing its job. I don't know if this is possible (I think
it is) and it might be much more attractive for many people to test
vdevd. Switching to vdevd instead of udevd might be too risky for many
folks. Especially when you don't want to run the risk for a bricked
device.

Just my 2 cts. Keep up the good work :)

R.

Hi Richard . . .

I have just forwarded this post to Jude and encouraged him to drop in to DNG more often. Another way to help move the project along would be to open an issue under vdev in git.

https://git.devuan.org/unsystemd/vdev

Your experiments with vdev are most welcome. Thank you!

golinux