:: Re: [DNG] Bootloaders (was: SystemD…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Bootloaders (was: SystemD's brownie points over non-systemd OSs)
On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 12:04:17AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> In recent years, as I got progressively more irritated with byzantinely
> overengineered distro-packaged software barging onto my Linux systems, I
> actually checked to see about just, y'know, switching back to lilo. Two
> problems:
>
> 1. lilo's been orphaned for about half a year (since Dec. 2015).

As far as I can remember, iko's been orphaned at least half a year. But
it just keeps on booting.

> 2.  lilo can't support EFI/GPT, only old-school IBM/Microsoft disk
>     formatting with an MBR as opposed to GPT, etc.

I use lilo to boot from a floppy. My system (includding /boot) is on a
software RAID within partitions on two EFI disk. It works.

I guess the floppy manages to get around the EFI restrictions?

-- hendrik