:: Re: [DNG] SystemD's brownie points …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Edward Bartolo
À: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] SystemD's brownie points over non-systemd OSs.
Considering the fact that many Linux users moan about not being able
to run the latest "shiny" software, and sometimes even complain and
insist they want their MS Windows applications on their Linux
machines, I have to concede them, that this time systemd scored an
extra brownie point in their favour. This alone will be an extra
reason for any of them to choose systemd.

I am saying this because Linux users are very diverse, with
experienced and knowledgeable system administrators being a small
minority. In my opinion, if Devuan want to be a competitor/alternative
it must provide the same functionality with reasonably the same effort
and efficiency. It is useless to tell the younger generations they
should lock themselves somewhere to research and study if they can
effectively do the same task with little to no effort.

My biggest motivation to support Devuan and all "old style Linuxes" is
derived from the fact that I do not conform to a ready made recipe
telling me to do everything in a rigid way that often interferes with
how I want to use a computer. This very machine I am using right now
has a complicated setup with an independent boot-loader although the
GRUB2 developers made a huge effort to force users to use GRUB2 as an
integrated part of their installation. I remember when the changes
took place I immediately devised a workaround to have GRUB2 installed
in an independent way as I wanted it. Yes, there are many users who
would scold me for doing it the way I did it, but that is my choice.
When it proves itself to be less efficient than doing it "the right
way" it will be time for me to reconsider my choice.

Now systemd is looming ahead with even more restrictions and lock-ins.
Keep it up people, choice is sacrosanct and fighting for it does not
come free of injuries.

Edward

Albert Einstein