:: Re: [DNG] SystemD's brownie points …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Simon Hobson
À: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [DNG] SystemD's brownie points over non-systemd OSs.
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:

> Considering the fact that many Linux users moan about not being able
> to run the latest "shiny" software, and sometimes even complain and
> insist they want their MS Windows applications on their Linux
> machines, I have to concede them, that this time systemd scored an
> extra brownie point in their favour. This alone will be an extra
> reason for any of them to choose systemd.

+1

> I am saying this because Linux users are very diverse, with
> experienced and knowledgeable system administrators being a small
> minority. In my opinion, if Devuan want to be a competitor/alternative
> it must provide the same functionality with reasonably the same effort
> and efficiency.

+1

> It is useless to tell the younger generations they
> should lock themselves somewhere to research and study if they can
> effectively do the same task with little to no effort.

And this, in shovelfuls.

I was introduced to computers in the days when (for a desktop) you switched it on, and typically ended up at an input prompt for a basic interpreter. You could then type in your program to do something - whether that be something you wrote yourself, or something printed in a magazine (I bet a few here can remeber magazines with pages of listings !)

Or you could try your luck and see if what you wrote out to a cassette tape yesterday will load today, armed with your little screwdriver for twiddling the azimuth adjustment.
If really posh, you'd have a disk drive - my second computer was an ITT2020 (Apple II clone) and did have a disk drive - storing what seemed like a massive 143k per disk (less overheads).

These days, the vast majority want their shiny tablet/phone, press the button and instant gratification, and even IT people I've discussed things with really don't give a s**t about "open". Some are even hostile to the whole idea that anyone should be able to "fiddle with the insides".