:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 19:50:14 +1200, Daniel wrote in message
<57A6E836.4040107@???>:

> >     We all miss Jude and a decisive contribution from his part to
> > have a running Vdev on Devuan. It's more than 2 years since the
> > inception of Vdev and more than one year since Jude has "almost
> > finished" it. Yet we haven't a replacement for Udev, while it is
> > more and more integrated to systemd. I see this as a major threat.
> > I'm deceived that Skarnet hasn't written their own, because it's
> > more critical than a supervisor.

> Surprisingly the last update on Jude's github project for vdev is 23rd
> April 2016, only a couple of month's ago. See:
> https://github.com/jcnelson/vdev/commits/master
>
> So it's not that long ago...
>
> I guess what we need is to get a working package in Devuan to attract
> his attention back.

..by "working", we should mean flawless packaging and easy bug reporting
so the vdev developers get feedback from people trying the packages so
they get help finding the bugs.

..with no feedback, he can justify the "no interest" conclusion.

..which proves the current "git clone -> .configure -> make -> make
install" route unworkable, at the very least we need a way to make
our omn vdev .dev package from our own git trees.

> Once I've got completed a couple of key items we need to get on the
> road to a final release for Devuan, I'll look at the state of various
> packaging attempts for vdev and work towards an official devuan
> package.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: