:: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Brian Nash
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S. government
On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 04:00:53PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>And last I heard, they were processing everything on magnetic tapes.
>It might be better for them to use a database on redundant, backed-up
>disk drives. Perhaps that's the motive for a rewrite, rather than it
>all being COBOL.

If they decide to rewrite everything, I could bet on them using Visual
BASIC, Java, and/or MS C#.

I would get rich off of that bet.

These are people who often know nothing about "electronics" (except for
smartphones, possibly), so they'll likely just buy some commercial
software and pay someone (an MCSE) to make it work.

They are desk workers. Their resumes need to have things like "can use
MS Excel" in order to get hired. They use frontends, and know little
about the backends. (Basically, they took the Blue Pill.)

Also, they run one of the most powerful countries in the world.

( Progress is made by lazy people looking for an easier way to do )
( things.                                                         )
        o   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||