:: Re: [DNG] Would you guys hate me if…
Author: aitor_czr
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Would you guys hate me if...
Hi Steve,

On 08/04/2016 11:32 PM, Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> >
>> >If I were making a general purpose menu program that might eventually
>> >end up in Devuan, would you hate me if I made it depend on MongoDB?
>> >Same question, but for YAML? Same question, for both?
> 1st of all, strange enough but a easy GUI menu program is needed yes,
> especially one that doesn't follows the .desktop insanity
>
> I recommend YAML. is a great markup, very readable and editable by hand
>
> ciao

As Micky Del Favero and KatolaZ say, a text plain is the best choice for
that, located in ~/.config/something/something.rc.
I would not recommend any database, neither MongoDB, neither SQLite, etc...

Two years ago aproximatelly i started working on a menu program in C,
but after i discovered openbox-menu i quitted the project. In spite of
this, now it's one of my projects in mind.

Jaromil: why do you consider insane the use of *.desktop? This is the
system used by all the dinamical menu lauchers: the *.desktop files, the
*.directory files and in some cases also a *.menu file located in
/etc/xdg/menus/ (i.e. xfce-applications.menu)

Cheers,

Aitor.